Philip Coulson May 24, 2015 22:46:46 GMT
Post by Deleted on May 24, 2015 22:46:46 GMT
NAME: Coulson, Philip J.
ALIAS: Agent 10
OCCUPATION: S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent, (Clearance Level 8) - Serial No. SKJ 08U7342
MEMBER GROUP: SHIELD Agents
POWERS AND ABILITIES:
Combat Training: As a long-time SHIELD agent, despite his unassuming appearance, Phil is a highly trained combatant. His skill in close combat is sufficient to take out multiple trained human opponents at the same time and to hold his own against highly skilled fighters. He is also proficient with a wide variety of weapons, from the old-fashioned to advanced prototypes like the Destroyer cannon.
Covert Operative: As one of SHIELD's top supervising agents, Phil is a very experienced leader and covert operative. His ability to analyze a situation and plan a course of action is among the best SHIELD has, and he has a similar ability to inspire loyalty in those he commands. In a certain sense, he is well known for being ready for anything - or at least appearing to be. In addition to his skills in a battle, Phil is an excellent tracker, criminal profiler, and undercover agent. His pleasant and calm demeanor aids in his ability to be overlooked when operating in this capacity.
Logistics Specialist: In addition to his skills in the field, Phil is one of SHIELD's best when it comes to the planning, analysis, and organization of complex operations. His ability to plan for everything and outsmart the bad guys has made him something of a legend in the business.
PLAYBY: Clark Gregg
PLAYER NAME: Phelan
OTHER CHARACTERS: Wade Wilson
- Lola, his flying 1962 Corvette convertible. Coulson loves this car a little too much, and is excessively protective of it. To this day no one with the possible exception of Fitz has been able to work on this vehicle, and certainly no one else has been able to drive or fly it.
- Old pieces of espionage technology. Coulson has a considerable collection of WWII-era and earlier spy equipment, most of it from the OSS and the early days of SHIELD, as well as from the Nazi resistance.
- Captain America. Phil has been a Cap fanboy since he was a kid, and maintains a substantial collection of Captain America trading cards. They're vintage, and he's very proud.
- Reality TV. Perhaps because his job involves so much surveillance, Phil has a taste for certain reality TV shows - Supernanny, for example.
- The Team. Phil has gradually assembled a team of skilled agents into a team under his personal command. He is protective of the people he leads, and loyal perhaps to a fault.
- Classical music. He's an old fashioned guy.
- Physical confrontation. While Phil is skilled in combat and often surrounded by agents even more skilled than he is, he dislikes having to resort to violence. Not out of any particular moral opposition - it just means that he wasn't able to find a way to plan around it.
- Monologuing. Villains who feel like they have to grandstand during their victory are tiresome, and he generally finds a way to interrupt them. Permanently, if possible.
- Hydra, AIM, Loki, etc - As something of an idealist, he takes people who want to do Bad Things quite seriously. It might be wrong to say he takes these sorts of things personally, but he definitely takes a strong interest in putting the bad guys down.
- Modern music. Most of it just isn't any good. The same can be said for cars. Again, he's an old fashioned guy.
- While he's gotten over the aftereffects of what happened to him after Loki put the scepter through his chest, it's REALLY not something Phil likes talking about. Besides which, it did rather a number on his personal life.
- Cool under Fire. Coulson is the very picture of the unflappable commander under fire. While he might get emotional from time to time, Phil relies on his cool demeanor and ability to keep analyzing and remain the smartest (or at least, the quickest) guy in the room to keep himself and his team alive. It is because of this that he is a phenomenal team leader, and able to bring together disparate personalities and inspire loyalty even in people who initially don't like him very much. He's calm and cool without ever being quite aloof, and whatever happens Agent Coulson is going to be ready with a plan of action.
- Experience. One of a very few SHIELD agents trained from the start by Nick Fury himself, no currently active agent in SHIELD has more experience or better training than Phil Coulson. He isn't the fastest, the strongest, the smartest - not even the most skilled with a weapon or his bare hands. He's a man who will never look like much in person or on paper, but whose accomplishments tell a story of someone whose value to the organization is much more than the sum of his talents taken individually.
- Lightweight. The recent changes in the world have left Phil a decidedly underpowered individual in an increasingly deep sea of superhuman individuals. There's nothing genetically or physically special about him, he's not even anywhere close to being a 'peak human', not even among SHIELD's best fighters. While he's a dangerous man, and far beyond the skills of any average agent or soldier, in the world where he lives these days, he's definitely not someone who can go toe to toe with most of the threats of the modern age. His contributions tend to have to lie elsewhere - though with proper equipment, he can do some damage, too.
- PTSD. By all appearances, Phil is completely over what Loki did to him. Beneath his many layers of carefully crafted cool and good humor however is a man who still occasionally has nightmares - of death, and of what Fury did to bring him back from it.
- Safety for all mankind. It's a lofty goal, perhaps an impossible one, but it's SHIELD's goal, and the one he's devoted his life to. They exist to stand against the threats no one else can see coming, and to protect ordinary people from extraordinary threats. Phil has always taken immense pride in being one of those standing on that wall.
- A quiet life. Not now, not soon, but eventually Phil wants to be able to retire and enjoy his last few years. Of course, he can't do that until the job is done... so maybe he never will. If he has to sacrifice this in the service of protecting the world, he'll do it in a heartbeat.
FEARS: After his death and miraculous reincarnation, perhaps Coulson's greatest fear is that he will start to lose control again - be overtaken by some unknown side effect of the treatment he underwent, or otherwise fall to psychosis and lose his mind as so many of the other TAHITI project individuals did.
First and foremost, Phil is a SHIELD man. Many agents might believe in the cause, but Phil's devotion to the ideals of the founders is absolute. His loyalty isn't just to the badge, or even to Nick Fury, the man who hired and trained him to be the agent he is. Phil is a True Believer, the sort who will always go back into the fire because he believes himself to be on the righteous path. The sort of path his childhood idol Captain America would have been on, had he been around all these years. He is a man of incredibly strong convictions, and moreover one that is always willing to back his convictions up with action.
In general, Phil is genial and good natured, with a dry sense of humor that he uses to lighten dark situations. He has a way of letting danger and terror roll off his back, giving him a well-earned reputation for unflappability. For him, being an only child, he looks at SHIELD almost like his brothers and sisters - his only family, now that his parents have passed. This makes him protective of other agents, especially the ones under his command, though he is a singularly pragmatic individual and understands that sometimes Agents have to die - lives have to be spent, not wasted - even if he would rather do almost anything but let that happen. Phil has a long history of putting the needs of others before his own, something those under his command know well - and it gives him an aura of honesty and trustworthiness despite his job that people tend to pick up on. He is, for a spy, an easy man to trust.
BIRTHPLACE: Manitowoc, WI - USA
RESIDENCE: Coulson has an apartment in Boston, though he spends the majority of his time in SHIELD safehouses or otherwise on the road
PARENTS: Robert and Julie Coulson. Robert died in 1973, Julie in 1992.
IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIPS: Since the death of his mother, Coulson has no blood relatives. While he has many acquaintances inside SHIELD, there are only a few agents he counts as true friends: primarily Melinda May and Maria Hill. John Garrett is one of his best friends, and the man who he trained with under Fury. Phil is also one of the closest people to Nick Fury, and one of the very few people Fury completely trusts, though it's a relationship that one wouldn't necessarily term a 'friendship'.
IMPORTANT PERSON: There was a cellist - not since his death, though.
Philip J. Coulson was born on July 8th, 1964. He was an only child, though he spent considerable time in his youth wondering what it would be like to have siblings and hoping that he would one day. He also spent a great deal of time working with his father on the red corvette he would later upgrade with flight capability, Lola. His father died when he was nine. Growing up, he idolized Captain America, and collected a considerable amount of memorabilia, particularly a set of vintage trading cards from the 1940s. Phil was an excellent student, and was recruited by SHIELD right out of high school. After graduating from his initial training, he trained with Nick Fury as his Supervising Officer. Shortly after his own start in the field, he was joined under Fury by John Garrett, who would become Phil's partner for several missions and one of his closest friends.
Once graduating from Fury's tutelage, Phil and John worked together for years before separating, diverting to different specialties within the organization. Phil was assigned to work with Melinda May, who would be his longtime partner - and the one of the two who played the 'muscle', while Phil played the part of the planner and the 'good cop'. Coulson and May became excellent friends and one of SHIELD's most effective duos, putting together a series of successful missions (often against incredible odds) over the next twenty years. The partnership would be put on hold after a disastrous mission in Bahrain - though they successfully accomplished their mission, the psychological damage May suffered was too great, and she put in a request for a transfer to logistics shortly thereafter.
Over the course of his career, Phil became one of Fury's most trusted agents, often referred to as his right hand man, or in Fury's words "my one good eye". While he was passed over for leadership roles by Victoria Hand and in particular Maria Hill (the former of whom he would have a slightly tense relationship with due to her strictness about the rules, though he got along fine with the latter), Phil always had a preference for field work, and so this never appeared to bother him. He would be tasked by Fury with several of his most sensitive missions, particularly the ones he kept even from the WSC. In particular, it was Coulson's job to shepherd the Avengers Initiative, especially in looking out for Tony Stark, Thor, and Bruce Banner.
When the Initiative was finally realized, Coulson would continue to play a vital role in pulling the team together - even doing so posthumously after Loki put the blade of his scepter through Phil's chest, killing him.
Coulson would resurface some time later, claiming that he had been simply recovering in Tahiti from a brief near-death experience. He was reassigned by Fury to the heavily modified C-130 known as The Bus, and given free reign to put together a team for special operations, investigating superhuman events and various threats across the globe.
Coulson would eventually learn however that this was something of an apology by Fury - that his resurrection was due to a drug developed from a long dead Kree alien's blood, and that TAHITI was a memory-alteration project... he has gotten past these shocks for the most part, and the insanity the drug's side effects produced, which caused him to compulsively carve alien symbols onto any available surface, has passed now that the alien city was discovered. For his part now, Phil is trying to get back on-mission, and continue his good work - along with adjusting to the rapidly accelerating changes in the world.